[ft-devel] libfreetype.la issues (was: ttfautohint: use native freetype

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: [ft-devel] libfreetype.la issues (was: ttfautohint: use native freetype on Mac OS X)
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2012 08:06:03 +0200 (CEST)

> There's a build error on Mac OS X (10.7) w/ ttfautohint version 0.8:
> for some reason, the `--libtool` argument to freetype-config gives a
> path to a nonexistent library.  I do think the right argument is
> `--libs`. Please find attached patch.

Thanks.  I'm not exactly sure whether this is a FreeType or
ttfautohint issue (or both).

Up to now it was unknown to me that some distributions like Debian
remove libtool's .la files completely.

Can people from the list help resolve this issue gracefully?  For
example, I can imagine to modify the `freetype-config' script so that

  freetype-config --libtool

checks whether `libfreetype.la' actually exists, falling back to

  freetype-config --libs

if it doesn't.  Or should this be done on the client side (this is,
ttfautohint)?  Or should ttfautohint's configure script always use
--libs, as suggested by the patch, since it doesn't use libtool's
libltdl mechanism?