Re: [ft-devel] Seams with disjoint composite

From: Behdad Esfahbod
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Seams with disjoint composite
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2012 16:28:08 -0400

On 06/07/2012 04:20 PM, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

>>> Not my problem :-) According to the font's gasp table, hinting
>>> should be switched off below 9pt.
>>
>> See attachment.
>
> Yes, I know.  I can only repeat: The bytecode goes havoc because it
> doesn't work at this size.  This is *not* a problem!  The gasp table
> tells you not to do that.

Alternatively, can't FreeType do that itself?  I know previously you've had
said that FreeType exposes gasp table, and that FreeType just does what you
tell it.  Previously I agreed with that.  But now I think it makes sense to
disable bytecode if gasp says so.  IMO, applications should only need to tell
FreeType whether to hint or not, whether to antialias or not, and not know
about the details of TrueType or other formats.  FreeType should abstract that
away.  *If* then need full control though, FreeType can allow that too.

behdad