Re: [ft-devel] Peter Wiegel's auto spacing idea

From: Vernon Adams
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Peter Wiegel's auto spacing idea
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2012 20:06:42 +0100

This is very interesting, reminds me of David Kindersley's work on 'optical spacing'. I think that spacing for web and screen fonts could be dealt with like this fairly straightforward because of the role that the pixel grid plays in determining final rendered spacing. Would be interesting to test it.
Also thinking this could be built into an app like robofont very easily - would just need to add a blur effect etc to the glyphs in spacing mode. could that be done in fontforge too? Using freetype or pango?
-vern

Sent from Samsung tablet

Dave Crossland <address@hidden> wrote:

Hi

Peter asked me to forward his auto spacing idea to the ttfautohint and
fontforge devel lists :-)

Cheers
Dave