Re: [ft-devel] Freetype 2.4.10 MSVC++ / Cygwin Compile fails

From: mpsuzuki
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Freetype 2.4.10 MSVC++ / Cygwin Compile fails
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2012 21:18:02 +0900

On Wed, 19 Sep 2012 11:07:02 -0500
RMWChaos <address@hidden> wrote:

>On 2012-09-19 10:30, suzuki toshiya wrote:
>
>> [...snip...]
>> Ahh, I see. I will try.
>>> Using autoconf for Cygwin/MSVC is pretty common in my (albeit limited)
>>> experience. You can refer to various libs to see this for yourself. An
>>> example is lib ICU, which has a "CYGWIN/MSVC" option in its configure
>>> file.
>>
>> I don't think ICU is good example, but anyway I will try some libraries
>> using genuine autoconf only.

>I may be able to save you the trouble of testing further with cygwin
>bash / MSVC unless you truly want to see how it works. In that case, I
>can provide you with a test batch file that will automatically setup
>your environment for MSVC 2008 or 2010, download, and compile a number
>of libraries including ICONV, ICU, BOOST, ZLIB, PNG, POSTGRESQL, TIFF,
>LIBPROJ, GEOTIFF, LIBXML2, PIXMAN, CAIRO, SIGC++, SQLITE, EXPAT, JPEG,
>and JPEG-Turbo (all Mapnik dependencies). Probably can do a whole lot
>more that were pyspatialite dependencies as well, but there's a lot of
>crossover here.

I found that there is a wrapper script for the compilers
whose options are not Unix-like syntax; "compile".
It comes from gnulib which is really designed for MSDOS
or Windows compatibilities (you can find explicit keywords
like cygwin/mingw/wine, cl.exe in it), it is used by the
packages like gzip or gexttext, stored as gzip-1.5/build-aux/compile.

# Automake has also "compile" wrapper script, but it is not
# for such issues; it is designed for old compilers that
# cannot take both of "-c" "-o" at once.

Among the packages you listed, iconv (GNU libiconv-1.14)
does NOT include it and configure script could not invoke
cl.exe correctly (in my case), thus, during the configuration,
the fundamental check like "the size of wchar_t" fails.
I'm suspicious whether the built binary is safe.

I attached my config.log. Could you send me your config.log
left in libiconv's build directory?

Regards,
mpsuzuki