[ft-devel] Signed distance fields: distance from any point to the glyph

From: Nicolas Rougier
Subject: [ft-devel] Signed distance fields: distance from any point to the glyph contours
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2012 11:56:17 +0100

Hi,

One technics for rendering scalable text in OpenGL is the use of signed
distance fields (signed distance to the glyph outlines) that are stored in a
texture. Results are not perfect but acceptable in most cases. The way to
compute such distance fields in freetype-gl
(http://code.google.com/p/freetype-gl/) is to generate the bitmap of the glyph
at high resolution, compute the (approximated) distance field on these bitmap
and then downscale it. Of course, we lost a lot of precision (and time) in the
operation.

My question relates to a more direct way to compute the signed distance and to
know if anyone has already coded it by any chance ? Said differently, is there
a quick way to compute the shortest signed distance from any point (x,y) to the
glyph contours ?

Nicolas