[ft-devel] X-Height & CapHeight

From: another gol
Subject: [ft-devel] X-Height & CapHeight
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2013 16:29:07 +0200

Hi,

Would be nice to have x-height & capheight published (I know I'm not the first one to ask).

I fully understand that they're only available in a truetype chunk, but when the info is there, it beats having to guess it. Both are quite important for balanced text vertical centering.

How does everyone guess them btw? Here I measure "v" and "V", as those have little risk of overshoot or serif leaking above.

To me the best vertical centering for text is centering the x-height, or half-way between x-height & cap height. Sadly most fonts have a/descenders that aren't suitable for vertical centering.