Re: [ft-devel] hinting & halftoning

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] hinting & halftoning
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2013 00:31:10 +0200 (CEST)

I see that I've missed to answer this bit.

> 1. my rasterizer doesn't use horizontal hinting at all, only
> vertical.  [...]  vertical hinting changes a font's aspect ratio.
> It's quite normal afterall, at small sizes a character can be +-1
> pixel tall, which corresponds to up to 20% of the character's size
> for small sizes.

Please give an example, ideally with images.  It's not clear to me
what effect you are seeing.  Assuming FreeType's auto-hinter, there is
no dependency on the aspect ratio whatsoever, so I wonder how you can
see a difference by +-1 pixels from the expected result.