Re: [ft-devel] Include file change broke compilation

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Include file change broke compilation
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2013 07:38:21 +0100 (CET)

>> Applications should use header file name macros, as shown in all
>>FreeType example files and demo programs.
>
> In that case, perhaps the names/paths used in the filesystem should
> change more often (throw in a version number somewhere?) so as to
> catch anyone trying to do #include <something.h>.

This is a bit extreme :-)

For backwards compatibility, distributions might add

  cd /usr/include/freetype2
  ln -s . freetype

in a post-install script until the problematic packages have been
fixed.

The header hierarchy modification is nothing which I've invented out
of the blue, BTW.  It was described as a planned change since 2001(!)
in file `builds/unix/ft2unix.h' (which was removed in 2.5.1).