Re: [ft-devel] Lots of over-/undershoot in H&FJ "Mercury SSm A" at 17.6p

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Lots of over-/undershoot in H&FJ "Mercury SSm A" at 17.6px
Date: Sat, 10 May 2014 19:06:13 +0200 (CEST)

> I'm not sure... it displays fine on a Mac.

Maybe this very font is installed on your computer...

> I found something better, have a look at [...]
> http://www.typography.com/fonts/mercury-text/webfonts/mercuryssm-book. The
> example text at 18px demonstrates what I reported, other sizes look
> fine.

It only *accidentally* looks fine!  Attached is an image that shows
what the WOFF file of mercuryssm-book on this web page actually
contains (using the Unicode cmap).  The WOFF file is located in

  http://cloud.typography.com/759638/73452/css/fonts.css    ,

referenced in the HTML source of the web page.  As you can see, it
misses *many* glyphs, and at 18px the difference to your default serif
font is large enough that the hinting process delivers a different
x height.

I guess that those omissions are fully intentional so that you can't
simply grab the font without paying.  However, I believe it is an
error of www.typography.com that the glyph reportoire of the web font
isn't properly synchronized with the displayed text.

My conclusion: No problem with FreeType :-)

    Werner

PNG image