Re: [ft-devel] Any reason not merging freetype2 and freetype2-demos?

From: Behdad Esfahbod
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Any reason not merging freetype2 and freetype2-demos?
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2014 13:47:51 -0400

On 14-08-18 01:39 PM, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

>> It's fairly easy to do using git.
>
> We split it intentionally many years ago.  Admittedly, I know longer
> know the reason...

Ok I can think of one myself.  It's a problem in other projects too.

Having them separate makes it easier to run a newer ftview (say, with a new
feature), against older freetype / multiple versions of freetype for
comparison.  That, however, would work find *if* like other projects one could
run "make install" within src/.  With FreeType's currently build system it's
an all-or-nothing.  So, we'd need to revamp the build system a bit before the
merge can happen.

> Basically, I don't object to your suggestion, since this means only
> two and not three tarballs to distribute.  Please file a bug report so
> that it won't forgotten – and maybe other people can comment.

Done:

https://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/index.php?43014

--
behdad