Re: [ft-devel] longjmp issue 1

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] longjmp issue 1
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2014 07:20:01 +0100 (CET)

> Looks like longjmp might be being called before setjmp being called.

Thanks, will try to investigate more.  And maybe Toshiya gets more
insights.  I would like to *understand* the problem.

> I highly suggest you remove ftvalid (and gxvalid).

They are not used in a default build.

> It's unused, which makes it untested, and as such broken.

`Not in the default build ' means `broken'?  You are exaggerating.

> OTS does the same thing, but is actually used in Firefox and Chrome,
> and as a result tested in practical situations.  But even that was
> very broken in certain ways around GSUB/GPOS and we have just got to
> a point that it can be called ok.

Thanks for the pointer to OTS.  Can you elaborate on the issues you've
experienced with validation?

> A more extensive font lint tool is a great idea, and one that is
> sorely missing right now.  But FreeType isn't the place to do it.

Well, I could move those two modules to a different place, creating
another library, for example, but what are the benefits?  Just look at
the work to be done to split HarfBuzz into two libraries so that the
chicken-and-egg problem with FreeType could be solved.  It's a lot of
work, and the benefits are small since compiling FreeType, then
HarfBuzz, then FreeType again is not rocket science and works without
troubles.