[ft-devel] FT_Vector_NormLen: faster vector normalization

From: Alexei Podtelezhnikov
Subject: [ft-devel] FT_Vector_NormLen: faster vector normalization
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2015 22:50:09 -0400

Hi All,

I have just committed a fast vector normalization procedure based on
Newton's iterations without square roots and divisions. It speeds up
emboldening by 40% and TrueType loading by 15% in my benchmarks with
times and arial at 16ppem.

There are a few places in the code that are implementation-defined,
AFAICS, they rely on two's complement representation of negative
numbers. I do not think this is the only place in FreeType that makes
this assumption.

Please review.

Thank you,
Alexei