Re: [ft-devel] Taming CFF_CONFIG_OPTION_DARKENING_PARAMETER_Y* for a gam

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Taming CFF_CONFIG_OPTION_DARKENING_PARAMETER_Y* for a gamma of ~2.2/sRGB?
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2015 20:55:06 +0200 (CEST)

> It looks like the potential for change is there, it's just that stem
> darkening for non-CFF and autohinted fonts needs to be in place
> first before the toolkits consider enabling it. I'll have a look
> around to see if I can maybe salvage something.

I'll invite to have a look at the auto-hinter implementation, probably
coming up with a patch!  The idea to solve the problem is simple:
Insert a call to FT_Outline_EmboldenXY after FT_Load_Glyph essentially
in all files of src/autofit.  What's needed are test w.r.t. speed,
reliability, etc.

Of course, this should be similarly configurable as the CFF stem
darkening mechanism (i.e., dependent on the PPEM value).