Re: [ft-devel] Improved Arabic auto-hinting

From: Alexei Podtelezhnikov
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Improved Arabic auto-hinting
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2015 10:25:26 -0400

>>>>> This effect:
>>>>>
>>>>>   https://www.flickr.com/photos/behdad/34769511/
>>>>>
>>>>> still happens in my limited testing.

This looks like a text layout problem, which was traditionally outside
of FreeType's responsibilities. The extra ink is a result of bitmap
addition, which would be swept under the rug by strong hinting in the
new blue zone, of course. The text layout engine on its part could
also be a little smarter (read smoother): instead of a+b in the
overlap zone, it should try max(a,b). I bet it will solve the issue.