Re: [ft-devel] Font style not not shown properly

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Font style not not shown properly
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2015 11:16:29 +0200 (CEST)

> We are using FreeType for reading fonts for our SaaS based
> application.  It worked fine on all fonts till now. But now its
> creating trouble with some fonts, attached is a font file which
> didn't worked properly.  Problem is that FreeType return style value
> "Regular" but actually its style is "BlackItalic".  A screenshot of
> values that FreeType function FT_Get_Sfnt_Name returns in
> FT_SfntName object is attached.  First i thought that problem could
> be with the font file.  But Microsoft word and notepad are showing
> correct style (i.e. BlackItalic).  So can you please analyze this
> font and provide any help in this regard.

FreeType's return value is correct: The font's sub-family is `Regular'
in its `name' table.

As far as I know, Microsoft uses a database to get proper sub-family
names of common old fonts that don't fit the classical
Regular-Bold-Italic-BoldItalic scheme, and which lack the extended,
newer entries in the `name' table (cf. IDs 16, 17, 21, and 22).

If you really need such functionality for very old fonts you have to
also maintain such a database.