Re: [ft-devel] Taming CFF_CONFIG_OPTION_DARKENING_PARAMETER_Y* for a gam

From: Nikolaus Waxweiler
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Taming CFF_CONFIG_OPTION_DARKENING_PARAMETER_Y* for a gamma of ~2.2/sRGB?
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2015 12:31:00 +0200

Thanks a lot for your input, it helps to understand what the code is doing :) Maybe I'll add your comments as comments somewhere in the code ;)

I now have a few ideas:
- If font has OS/2 weight class, use that for stdHW/VW. See if that maybe is good enough for our purposes. - If not, use af_get_coverage or something to get at all scripts a font has glyphs for, set all available script analyzers on it, harvest all horizontal standard_widths and take arithmetic mean or median. Or something like that. - Good to know I might need different parameters! Maybe that's why I thought the autohinter results looked... less stellar than the CFF output. Smudgy on the x-axis. - Emboldening in my prototype is currently done *after* the hint computations are done, or more specifically, the analyzers that spit out hints load the glyph to be displayed by themselves to get a pristine copy of the outline. So emboldening is done independently of the hinting machinery. At least I think so. Maybe I'll try applying the emboldening before autohinting is done, in both directions, once I figure out how to get standard_widths for X/Y before metrics and hints are computed. And I want to embolden an outline for a given size only once, so that each call to FT_Load_Glyph() anywhere in the autohinter returns the already modified outline, instead of emboldening the same glyphs again and again. This might help performance if caching isn't involved (XXX: find out how caching is done in FT2/FC and what CF2_Font does) - I cam across this article yesterday via hackernews: http://www.embeddedrelated.com/showarticle/152.php -- only skimmed it, but might help me with the curve.

Best regards,
Nikolaus