[ft-devel] auto-hinter and base characters

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: [ft-devel] auto-hinter and base characters
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2015 00:07:54 +0200 (CEST)

Right now, I'm working on slightly extending the auto-hinter to make a
distinction between `base characters' and everything else.  The idea
is that only base characters will use blue zones.  This should give
more consistent vertical positions of e.g. diacritics since they won't
be snapped to (incorrect) bluezones.

Note that ttfautohint will have more benefit than FreeType: The former
normally hints diacritics and base characters separately, while the
latter always decomposes composite characters.

There are two drawbacks: Diacritics that have different shapes
depending on the active features (e.g. special forms for smallcaps)
won't be covered, and I have to increase the glyph style array from
8bit to 16bit.

As soon as I have something to show I'll post it here.