Re: [ft-devel] Autohinter: stem darkening, first rough prototype

From: Nikolaus Waxweiler
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Autohinter: stem darkening, first rough prototype
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2015 18:24:11 +0200

Yes, the emboldening strengths are exactly how much thicker stems
ought to become. This is compatible with their definition in
FT_Bitmap_Embolden.

That's what I figured back then. What tripped me was how "strong" stems appeared with the correct version. Stem contrast approximately matches the CFF engine, but they look ugly. Frankly, I'm not pleased with the results, especially below 10 or 11ppem, where glyphs degenerate into a hazy mess: http://postimg.org/image/8lrwf7x5d. A far cry from the beauty the CFF engine puts out...

I dialed the y-parameters back to 200, 135, 135, 0 and set the lower size limit to 9ppem (= pretend sizes below 9ppem are 9ppem to prevent uglyness). That actually made glyphs look okay:
- http://postimg.org/image/ak3o45zzp/
- http://postimg.org/gallery/2jvrjb9f4/f0346f31/ (emboldening and no emboldening)

I don't know. What does the CFF engine do that FT_Outline_Embolden doesn't? Higher precision?

Or is this good enough?