Re: [ft-devel] Hinting paths

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Hinting paths
Date: Sun, 01 Nov 2015 06:20:03 +0100 (CET)

I don't know the internals of FontConfig, thus I'm adding only some
related comments.  BTW, I think you should ask on the fontconfig
mailing list, too.

> - hintmedium, autohint false: native, hintfull without X-fitting?

Native TrueType hinting with explicitly disabling X-fitting is not
supported (yet) by FreeType.  If you activate Infinality's subpixel
hinting, however, you sort-of get this because most hinting
instructions along the horizontal axis are not executed.  However, a
font *can* circumvent this limitation by activating `native ClearType
hinting' (selector index 3 of the INSTCTRL instruction; this works
since FreeType version 2.6).  In this mode, there are no
backwards-compatibility restrictions, and you can happily emit
horizontal hints in ClearType.

> So, questions:
>
> - With autohint on, hintslight/medium/full do Y-fitting,
>   X-and-Y-fitting and stronger X-and-Y-fitting from within the
>   autohinter *without any "native hinting"*?

What do you mean with `stronger X-and-Y-fitting'?  FreeType's
auto-hinter only supports two modes: `normal' and `light'.