Re: [ft-devel] rendering mode of Firefox on Windows 10

From: Nikolay Sivov
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] rendering mode of Firefox on Windows 10
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2015 23:26:44 +0300

On 05.11.2015 22:06, Khaled Hosny wrote:
On Thu, Nov 05, 2015 at 07:43:21PM +0100, Werner LEMBERG wrote:

according to browserstack, the current release 41 of Firefox on
Windows 10 seems still to use the GDI framework, which implies font
rasterizer version 37, [...]

I suspect that browserstack uses remote windows desktop connection
or some such which I have noticed to be using Windows XP-like font
rendering.

Hmm.  How do you explain then that both Chrome and Edge use version 40
on browserstack?

I see, Firefox uses DirectWrite only when 3D acceleration is enabled and
GDI otherwise, so this might be the case here.

Hm, I wonder if that's because they also make use of Direct2D, because I don't think DirectWrite necessary talks to d3d system. Although it's possible some sophisticated logic to have system-wide font cache service to cache generated bitmaps or defer computations, and d3d is used for that directly or not, but I never heard about it.

gfx.font_rendering.directwrite.enabled was false, toggled to true, no difference.

gfx.font_rendering.cleartype_params.force_gdi_classic_for_families indeed contained something by default, I tried to reset to empty string, no change. Also if it really applies to specific family my guess would be that RasterInfo font won't be affected, as it's never on the list by default.

Regards,
Khaled