Re: [ft-devel] Turning off stem darkening by default until all drivers s

From: Alexei Podtelezhnikov
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Turning off stem darkening by default until all drivers support it?
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2015 09:44:06 -0500

On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 7:43 AM, Jan Alexander Steffens
<address@hidden> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 10, 2015 at 1:32 PM, Markus Trippelsdorf
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>> The big problem is that enabling linear blending is a compile time
>> option for Qt 5. There is no way to control it at runtime AFAIK.
>
> Isn't this is exactly what we want? A Qt built this way should pass
> FT_LOAD_INTEND_LINEAR... to FreeType and expect all the output to be
> appropriate for linear blending.

FreeType should offer blending!  I think the API is there but needs to
be massaged.

FT_Bitmap_Convert could be the function that does blending on top of
its current narrow use.
FT_Bitmap structure has many wonderful fields like palette and
palette_mode already reserved

We do not have a power function in FreeType yet. I already found a
suitable algorithm for logarithm.
http://www.claysturner.com/dsp/binarylogarithm.pdf

Alexei