Re: [ft-devel] Support standardized CBDT/CBLC Re: Freetype-devel Digest,

From: Hin-Tak Leung
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Support standardized CBDT/CBLC Re: Freetype-devel Digest, Vol 129, Issue 10
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2015 23:26:59 +0000

I used the fonts to test support for otspec 2015 features in the project I am
working on.

I think the spec committee is correct, or at least consistent in bumping the
version up to 3, even when the new table version is backward compatible (in the
sense that fonts not using newly introduced features have an identical table
content except the version field, in this case, the new feature being color).
They do that when the allowed values changes.

The C* tables allow bit depth 32 (beside 1,2 4,8), and new imageformats
17,18,19 (besides1-9 except deprecated 3).

They did the same with the os/2 table - v5 is current and larger than v4 and v3
by two fields. (v3 being the 2009) v3 and v4 are identical except a reserved
bit field for support of specific locale/language  becomes unreserved and a
font can claim to support many more lesser-used languages in v4. if your font
does not support any lesser-used languages, it is identical to v3.

for a font validating program (vs a font using one), using a new feature
claiming old version is an error or at least a warning, as the allowed ranges
of values are more restrictive in the older version though.