[ft-devel] FTL license question for a non-use specific case

From: Apple John
Subject: [ft-devel] FTL license question for a non-use specific case
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2016 14:02:47 -0700

Hi,

In the BSD-like "The FreeType Project LICENSE", I noticed that it says you must say somewhere in the documentation that you used FreeType.  Is it sufficient to add this license clause then in something like LICENSE.PDF, included in the software package?  Does that count as "documentation"?

If that's permitted, then I will stick it with the rest of the software licenses I use, e.g.: libcurl, info-zip, zlib, etc.

My case is a bit out of the ordinary; I compiled Freetype so that libgd would compile as well with a programming language called Harbour.  Its libgd Clipper -> C wrapper seems to expect that FreeType is supported... otherwise you get a bunch of low-level C errors for the C functions that I don't even intend to use.

In the case above, I guess I'm saying I would like to include the .dll, but am not really "using it", (but wouldn't mind someday learning more about FreeType).  My main goal was to get libgd+libpng working to see image size coordinates and it compiles nicely now thanks to your project.

I appreciate your time, for reading about this slightly unusual case.