Re: [ft-devel] Something in 2.6.4 broke my windows fonts

From: Nikolaus Waxweiler
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Something in 2.6.4 broke my windows fonts
Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2016 07:28:37 +0200

Hi Nikolaus!

Hi! I've been expecting you :)

I am one of those weird "windows fonts on unix" users. Yeah minority I know,
but recent update completely blew up my setup. So sorry for mailing you out of
blue!

I think everyone with Wine installed has Microsoft's fonts :)

I don't care about ClearType in the slightest, I would just like my Tahoma and
Arial to be pixel perfect crispy as I am used to.

I would also like to push for this to be solved at upstream, as I am
certainly not the only one who is having these problems.

At least some fontconfig option, I can manually define for these few fonts I
depend on, would be helpful.

I don't know of any other way than recompiling. Fontconfig doesn't support the property and likely won't as it isn't a font-property but something that affects all TrueType fonts. Cairo/Qt would need to go along with it, too.

I don't know of a clean way to handle this in FreeType and I frankly have little interest in bringing the "old" look back to the foreground as I'm more of a DirectWrite/ClearType person :)

If you really want the pixel look back, your best chance might be http://bohoomil.com/. That's a patchset on top of FreeType and fontconfig that aims for configurability. It comes with a pixely Windows XP preset iirc.

I tried to dig out info on mailing lists, but it is all really complex.
However there was whitelisting proposed for these specific fonts.
Can that be implemented and used to solve the problem?

Whitelist? Where? Keep in mind that FreeType is not the place for configuration and white/blacklists unless it's critical for rendering things correctly.