Re: [ft-devel] Something in 2.6.4 broke my windows

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Something in 2.6.4 broke my windows
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2016 21:44:32 +0200 (CEST)

>  FREETYPE_PROPERTIES=truetype:interpreter-version=35 \
>                      cff:no-stem-darkening=1 \
>                      autofitter:warping=1
>
> The original poster appears to want it system-wide, from the later
> post :-). I think he needs my patch above...

I disagree.  The above *is* a clean, system-wide solution.  Right now,
there is no possibility by a user (or by the system administrator) to
influence the default rendering setup of FreeType at run-time.
Setting an environment variable is approximately equal to setting the
font rendering parameters in the system configuration of MS Windows,
say.

> Much of Freetype's behavior is dynamically changeable, so
> application which depends on it can make their own choices.

Well, yes, but most applications simply use what the system (i.e.,
FreeType) provides by default.

> Maybe it is just gtk2 + qt5 chose differently from gecko.

Probably, yes.  Compare this to the different font rendering in
various IE browser versions on MS Windows.