[ft-devel] fontconfig (Re: Something in 2.6.4 broke my windows)

From: Hin-Tak Leung
Subject: [ft-devel] fontconfig (Re: Something in 2.6.4 broke my windows)
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2016 17:59:39 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 8/7/16, Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:

 > I think you have a
 fundamental misunderstanding of how fontconfig
 > works.  This library is only used to find
 a best matching font for a
 > given set of
 constraints...

I don't mean to be argumentative... but fontconfig's matching algorithm, if
used correctly/precisely, allows one to pin down to specific font. Usually,
just the font name and the style is enough. e.g. Arial, Bold. Fedora's shipping
config has a directive to not use embedded bitmaps below 8pt for Bitstream Vera
.

As a specific example, I do config it to not-use one or two fonts when they
prove troublesome. Often I like the fonts to be installed but have the option
not to use them, rather than not installing at all.

As for 2.6.4, it will be surprising (and already did...) to some users that a
x.x.3 ->x.x.4 minor upgrade causes visibly noticeable and substantial changes
to their desktops. Indeed it should be called 2.7.0. Personally, I want the
newer code, but I prefer it to not be activated for every font on the system by
default, at least for the moment, when I haven't allowed for time of settling
after a "major system upgrade" - just for the unlikely scenario where say,
firefox loads a webpage I am visiting which needs an unusual glyph from an
unusual font via fontconfig, and bam, the x server dies. (I know I am
exaggerating!). That's the price for the convenience offered by fontconfig. :-).

Hin-Tak