Re: [ft-devel] is that a bug in freetype on allowing INSTCTRL to be call

From: Nikolaus Waxweiler
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] is that a bug in freetype on allowing INSTCTRL to be called from glyphs?
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2016 21:16:56 +0200

There are two blocks of cryptic and even sarcastic(?) comments below
that from both Infinality and Nikolaus Waxweiler about subpixel
hinting which seems to suggest clear type fonts violates that
intentionally, if I understand the comments correctly? (I think the
sarcastic(?) comment is left by Nikolaus Waxweiler?). Therefore
FreeType possibly does not throw an error because there are fonts
which do that, quite intentionally; and in any case, FreeType ltself
probably does not need to care whether  INSTCTRL is being called from
glyphs or cvt.

It wasn't meant to be sarcastic,
https://www.microsoft.com/typography/cleartype/truetypecleartype.aspx#Toc227035738
says that

Although the other selector flags associated with INSTCTRL are
limited to the CVT Program, selector three can be used in either the
CVT Program or the glyph program[10]. [10] This is contrary to the
current OpenType specification but intended in the design of this
selector. To make sure that one glyph does not change the settings
for another glyph, if the instruction selector is set at the
beginning of a glyph, it should be cleared at the end of the glyph.
(This is not required if the instruction selector is used exclusively
in the CVT program.)

I think I made it so that the flag is reset to the global CVT state
after each glyph so that no side effects can occur. I hope.