[ft-devel] on widening at low res (Re: DejaVuSans.ttf and v40)

From: Hin-Tak Leung
Subject: [ft-devel] on widening at low res (Re: DejaVuSans.ttf and v40)
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2016 01:11:45 +0000 (UTC)

If my impression serves, the hdmx table of Apple shipped fonts also have a
tendency
to be one or two pixels wider than that calculated by FreeType
(from my testing of the re-implemented HDMX test in FontVal a while ago), when
they differ.

This seems to suggest that Apple's font rendering could be a pixel or two wider
than FreeType at low res also. That seems reasonable as widening letters
at low res make it more readable, everything else being equal.