Re: [ft-devel] [GSoC] ftinspect

From: Philipp Kerling
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] [GSoC] ftinspect
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2017 19:33:34 +0100

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply!

Am Dienstag, den 14.03.2017, 22:41 +0100 schrieb Werner LEMBERG:
> ftbench: No.  ttdebug: This would be very nice, but it would blow up
> the task enormously.  Note that the FontForge font editor already
> comes with a TrueType bytecode debugger (using FreeType); this might
> give you an idea of the additional work.
Oh cool, never saw that since my distribution has not enabled it. Yeah
I already guessed that it would probably not be possible for GSoC. I
can add it as stretch goal/future work in the proposal though.

> This is a good question.  I think Alexei or Nikolaus can say more.
> Note that it would be great to have a linear blending mode so that
> stem darkening gives the expected results.  Similarly, a non-linear
> blending could also be added to demonstrate why linear blending is a
> good thing...
Should be mathematically (i.e. minus rounding errors) the same as
linear blending with gamma=1.0, so I think that it is also covered once
 gamma is implemented.

> > I also have some thoughts about refactoring the existing code, but
>
> > should probably stop here for now.
>

> Any patches to improve FreeType are highly welcomed :-)
OK so I tried to make small commits so you can cherry-pick which of the
changes you use (it's still mostly cosmetics though), but I am not sure
how you would like to receive them. I tried to open a patch item on
Savannah, but it only allows the patches to be uploaded and downloaded
one-by-one, which is quite tedious with 18 commits. Should I use git
send-email or anything else?

Regards,
Philipp