Re: [ft-devel] New `slight' auto-hinting mode

From: Behdad Esfahbod
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] New `slight' auto-hinting mode
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2017 13:51:27 -0700

Thanks Werner for the detailed message!

On Thu, Apr 27, 2017 at 10:46 PM, Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:

What do you think?  Shall I remove (3c), enforcing (3a) to all users?
Or shall the new mode stay?  It's easy to revert the changes, if you
can convince me :-)

I prefer you just change what light mode does.  We never guaranteed strict backwards compatibility anyway.  TO me it doesn't make sense to deprecate existing mode and introduce new one.  If you do, then cairo, Qt, etc need to conditionally switch to the new one at compile time, and it will be more confusing when someone complains.  For example, if they compile cairo against old FreeType, then install new FreeType, they will be getting the deprecated light mode, whereas if they recompile cairo against new FreeType the'd get the new slight mode.  We can do without more confusion...