Re: [ft-devel] How the new lcd filter coefficients in 2.6.2 were choosen

From: Alexei Podtelezhnikov
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] How the new lcd filter coefficients in 2.6.2 were choosen?
Date: Wed, 3 May 2017 09:20:47 -0400

>> So, how did you get the values used currently as the default? Are there other
>> properties besides the two mentioned, that helped you to "calculate" such a
>> filter? Or did you just try different variants and choose the one that looked
>> better for you?

Without filtering, an outline covers unequal amounts of color
channels, which is visible as color fringes especially with thin
stems. So filtering should enforce equality between color channels.
The box fiilter (aka light) "00 55 56 55 00" is the absolute minimum.
The light filter is actually my favorite. The default filter
(suggested by Dave Arnold from Adobe) "08 4d 56 4d 08" is only
slightly different from the light filter. It is slightly wider and
blurrier than the light filter and, as such, more tolerant to
incorrect gamma setting.