Re: [ft-devel] git advice Re: Three GSoC students for FreeType

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] git advice Re: Three GSoC students for FreeType
Date: Tue, 09 May 2017 10:04:13 +0200 (CEST)

> Actually Werner's preference to have rebase regularly might be a bit
> disrupting to students who are trying out git and doing wild things at
> the same time... there are going to be a lot of collisions, etc, if
> one is also trying stuff out.

Well, as mentioned in another mail, I don't care what the students do
in their `private', experimental branches.  However, for submission to
master (and setting up a `clean' branch), rebasing is quite vital.

An important point: For my suggested `clean' branches please add
commit messages in FreeType's `ChangeLog' style!  I'm quite picky
here, since it forces the committer to think again, which helps catch
errors :-) However, don't add stuff to the `ChangeLog' file by
yourself; otherwise rebasing becomes a big pain.[*]

> Oh, in other words, I am proposing that students keeps as many
> branches as possible, and possibly pushes as many of them out to
> github for record, but keeping their branch numbers on savanah
> small. (one for 'cleaned up for Werner', one for 'wip for others to
> comment' etc).

Whatever fits.  Students can have multiple branches on Savannah also,
if they like.  I'm not a big github fan by myself, but if other people
prefer, I don't object :-)

    Werner

[*] I normally work the other way: Writing a ChangeLog entry, then
    simply using it as a commit message for `git commit' while
    stripping off the leading tabs.