Re: [ft-devel] Fwd: Re: [googlefonts-discuss] Re: Variable Fonts support

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Fwd: Re: [googlefonts-discuss] Re: Variable Fonts support in Inkscape
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2017 14:21:49 +0200 (CEST)

> > what API do you suggest?  Given that normally an application wants
> > to control *all* axes, it is not obvious to me where the benefits
> > are, so please elaborate.
>
> In fontview or axis-praxis the ui is an array of sliders, and it is
> unusual for a user to have two or more pointers and adjust 2 or more
> sliders at once.
>
> I'm guessing Felipe wants to pass a designspace coordinate delta,
> based only on the user input for the single axis typically adjusted
> by the user.

Well, yes, but as you say the application has already to maintain the
array of sliders – this exactly corresponds to an array of designspace
coordinates.  It should be straightforward to update the new value
*within the array*, then passing a pointer to array to FreeType.

Maybe Felipe means something else.