Re: [ft-devel] Any news? (Re: Freetype-devel Digest, Vol 149, Issue 16)

From: Hin-Tak Leung
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Any news? (Re: Freetype-devel Digest, Vol 149, Issue 16)
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2017 17:14:45 +0000 (UTC)

> Hello Arvinder!

> Any news?  Please write about once
 a week or so to the mailing list
 about your progress.  Even if
 there is no progress, or if you are
 stuck, please tell us.

Mostly GSoC rules says this is considered a summer-intern equivalent. The
occasional holiday/absence are expected as is in a normal summer job by mutual
agreement. Students are not supposed to take on another full-time job during a
significant part of the 3-month period. This is all in the FAQ.

Also students can fail and be kicked off the GSoC program at the mid-term
evaluation (around early July) and also considered failed, just before the
final delivery at end of August.

I don't want to sound unfriendly, but in the past, I have had student(s)
disappearing without a reason for over 3 weeks, then do a quick burst of work
for a few days, and disappearing for another 3 weeks. We considered failing him
in both times. It caused a lot of frictions between the people mentoring him,
the co-mentors, within the mentoring organization. At least FreeType's
community is small. I am just glad I don't take students lately, and don't have
to argue with somebody else whether we should fail the student or give him/her
the benefit of the doubt... because a disappearing student is also unfair to
the people who agree to donate his/her time to advise him/her on his/her work
also.