Re: [ft-devel] Bug? Font that fontforge shows but freetype does not

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Bug? Font that fontforge shows but freetype does not
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2017 10:13:07 +0200 (CEST)

>> I guess the font is kind of buggy since newer versions of it i can
>> find in the internet render fine (i think this is an old version)
>>
>> But since it's still floating around, and fontforge seems to render
>> it fine maybe it can be fixed to render in freetype?

Nothing I can do here.  The bytecode in the `prep' table is severely
broken, causing an endless loop.

> The difference is simple - fontforge ignores hinting
> instructions. If you switch off hinting in freetype, that it loads
> also.  FT_LOAD_NO_HINTING , or press h in ftview.

Exactly.

> So basically the hinting instruction in the prep table is trash, and
> also there is a backward jump loop in the hinting instruction.  The
> backward jump check was added in freetype recently, so this example
> why freetype 2.8 is happier.

FreeType 2.8 doesn't work either.  The last version that displayed
this font correctly with `FT_LOAD_DEFAULT' was 2.4.12, and this only
happened due to a bug in FreeType.

The problem is actually a bug in (older?) versions of the `glyphs'
font editor, AFAIK: It doesn't properly remove the `prep' and `fpgm'
tables if you want to create a font without hinting.  Leaving crap in
those tables probably works with Windows – it seems that executing
`prep' and `fpgm' gets only triggered by the first glyph that contains
bytecode – but not with FreeType, which executes those two tables
unconditionally if hinting is requested.