Re: [ft-devel] [GSoC] CID font support, and others

From: Ewald Hew
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] [GSoC] CID font support, and others
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2017 15:19:45 +0800

(Sorry about that chunk on the previous message, improper setting in
my antivirus)

More updates.

You might (or might not?) have noticed, I've pushed all changes into
`ewaldhew-cleaned' a few days ago.

Now, I've spent the past couple days investigating a strange behaviour
of hints that I just noticed. Refer attached.

I've been comparing the charstrings and hinter movements, but the lack
of visualization makes this tedious. Nothing stands out as being the
culprit, and each time I find a possible cause, I'd find the same
pattern in some other glyph that renders fine.

Besides this issue, I'm also meaning to look into the issue of slow
CFF loading (bug #43248) mentioned by Alexei at the start. Not sure
where to start, so I'd be glad for any advice.

For now, this is what I'll be doing for this final phase. Of course,
there's also fixing up all the documentation, and more bugs may yet
rear their ugly head...

Attachments:
  Exhibit A: Converted font, by me.
  {11, 12} Note that the error is exactly one unit.

  Exhibit B: Converted font, by someone else (from LaTeX fonts)
  {21, 22} Strangely, FT_Outline_Decompose reports the top horizontals
as one unit apart. but they're at the same y-position on the grid.
  {23} Editing the hints by hand, this is the closest I could achieve.

  Exhibit C: CID-keyed font
  {31, 32} Different errors at different point sizes. This one is a real mess.

Ewald