Re: [ft-devel] [GSoC] CID font support, and others

From: Ewald Hew
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] [GSoC] CID font support, and others
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2017 17:55:16 +0800

I think I've isolated the problem with hinting. Suffice to say the
hinter works on the premise that all hints are known at the start.
This is generally not true for Type 1 fonts.

Perhaps it is possible to change the logic to remove this condition.
The only other solution that comes to mind is doing an extra pass just
to build the initial hintmap, after which hint moves should presumably
work right.

As for the profiling, I was unable to reproduce the difference in load times.

ftbench results for font `SourceHansSans-Regular.otf':
FT_Load_Glyph    (units: us/op)
flags  adobe   freetype
0x0    14.628  14.193
0x1    13.088  13.160
0x2    13.674  13.147

Note: This was done on master branch.

I ran it with valgrind too but couldn't get useful information.
FreeType components did not show in the profile, with the execution
time split between bash and libc. It is compiling with -g though.
Their documentation is quite sparse, no idea what I'm doing wrong...

Ewald