[ft-devel] Questions about Harmony LCD rendering

From: Vladimir A . Pavlov
Subject: [ft-devel] Questions about Harmony LCD rendering
Date: Thu, 21 Sep 2017 00:58:23 +0300

Hello.

AFAIU from News page on freetype.org Harmony LCD rendering
algorithm (when using LCD, not grayscale, rendering) differs from the
old one in the following ways.

1. With Harmony only lcdlight filter is "supported". This causes brighter
color fringes for some fonts unlike lcddefault.

2. Harmony renders each glyph three times unlike the old algorithm
which renders a glyph only once. Thus it's three times slower (taking
into account that filtering pass is very fast and rendering pass is very
slow).

3. Harmony has no issues with patents unlike the old algorithm.

Do I correctly understand the differences? If so, the new algorithm
does not look like an ideal solution unfortunatelly.

Are there plans to completely remove the old
(SUBPIXEL_RENDERING) algorithm (I hope no)?