Re: [ft-devel] buiding ttfautohint with cmake?

From: Cosimo Lupo
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] buiding ttfautohint with cmake?
Date: Fri, 08 Dec 2017 21:44:51 +0000

Hi Martin,

early on you wrote

> it shouldn't be too complicated to build a DLL of ttfautohint that statically links all dependencies, e.g. using dlltool.

could you please elaborate a bit?

Here is my attempt at building a shared library or DLL for libttfautohint that has freetype and harfbuzz dependencies statically linked and has no other requirements than system libraries:
https://github.com/fonttools/ttfautohint-python/blob/master/Makefile

I basically reworked a shell script originally written by Werner that builds a self-contained statically linked ttfautohint executable, turned it into a Makefile, and I applied Martin's patch that enables libttfautohint.so shared library on top of ttfautohint master.
I have the three repositories of ttfautohint, freetype2 and harfbuzz checked in as git submodules.

This seems to work well for Linux and Mac (i.e. ldd, or the mac equivalent otool -L, does not list harfbuzz or freetype as dependencies, which is what I want).

However on Windows under MINGW64 environment the final linking step fails with an error and I get this warning from libtool

*** Warning: This system cannot link to static lib archive .../libharfbuzz.la.
*** you link to this library.  But I can only do this if you have a
*** shared version of the library, which you do not appear to have.

Exactly the same message for the libfreetype.la file.

Can anybody help?

Thank you in advance

Cosimo