Re: [ft-devel] build ttfautohint without freetype-config script

From: Cosimo Lupo
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] build ttfautohint without freetype-config script
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2018 14:16:51 +0000

Hi Werner,

autoconf is not my cup of tea, but I've tried anyway.
See the patch attached below.
Perhaps you can clean it up and merge manually.
Thanks

Cosimo

On Tue, Jan 9, 2018 at 12:42 PM Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:

Buon giorno!

> The freetype-config script seems to be required in order to build
> ttfautohint.  The configure.ac errors if it cannot find one.
> However, building freetype library with cmake, or with nmake (visual
> studio), does not install that script to the prefix bin.

Indeed, I haven't considered that.

> If I understand well, that's simply a wrapper for pkg-config, or [a
> shell script] for systems that don't have pkg-config, to get the
> C preprocessor flags and libraries options to link with freetype.

Exactly.

> Would it be possible to modify the configure.ac so that if the
> freetype-config script is not found, or if it's set to some empty
> variable, then the user can provide custom FREETYE_CPPFLAGS and
> FREETYPE_LIBS variables?

Certainly.  Can you provide a patch?  It was just my laziness that no
such solution exists yet.

> Or another option would be to modify the freetype CMakeList.txt to
> also configure and install the freetype-config script.

This sounds like a useful idea.  However, I'm very weak with cmake –
this is essentially contributed stuff...

> That would allow me to use cmake at least for building freetype (and
> harfbuzz).  For ttfautohint itself, that's more complicated because
> of gnulib (I've asked on the cmake mailing list for help).

Yes.  gnulib is very tightly tied to both make and the GNU autotools.

Cosimo Lupo