Re: [ft-devel] LD version script

From: Alexei Podtelezhnikov
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] LD version script
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2018 10:10:51 -0500

On Thu, Jan 25, 2018 at 4:57 AM, Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:
> OK.  After a bit of searching the internet I now believe to know what
> symbol versioning is good for.  Is there any better-known (GNU)
> library (besides libc) that does that by default?

libc is confined by the standard. FreeType, on the other hand, can
deprecate, rename, and adopt interfaces much more freely. I failed to
grasp why a library like FreeType should have a record when a certain
symbol was adopted. It is not portable to keep multiple versions of
the same symbol. FreeType strives for extreme portability.

Here is a rather silly examples without actual versioning:
https://github.com/FFmpeg/FFmpeg/blob/master/libavdevice/libavdevice.v
and similar.
https://sourceforge.net/p/libpng/code/ci/libpng16/tree/scripts/vers.c
is a plain looking scaffold