Re: [ft-devel] LD version script

From: Alexei Podtelezhnikov
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] LD version script
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2018 17:24:40 -0500

On Tue, Jan 30, 2018 at 4:47 PM, Tom Kacvinsky <address@hidden> wrote:
I am guessing your hesitance is more based on the principle of the
matter, not the additional work it would take (since I am going to do it).

You are right. I also hated the frontend of the symbol versions which requires GCC assembler trickery.
https://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/SymbolVersioning
This is a can of warms, which I do not want to open.

I have started this when I saw that libtool wraps the flat file of symbols to export into an anonymous version script. That seemed weird. Right now I would actually prefere __attribute__((__visibility__("default"))) to any list, as gcc and Vincent suggest
https://www.gnu.org/software/gnulib/manual/html_node/Exported-Symbols-of-Shared-Libraries.html
http://lists.nongnu.org/archive/html/freetype-devel/2018-01/msg00067.html