Re: [ft-devel] LLP64 model outside Win64

From: suzuki toshiya
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] LLP64 model outside Win64
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2018 10:54:56 +0900

Dear Werner,

Werner LEMBERG wrote:
> Hmm.  Using C99 would certainly simplify life.
>
> Maybe we can announce in the forthcoming release that we are switching
> to C99 later on.
>
> Comments?

I have no objection to have some conditional parts for C99-
specific feature, but I feel negative with the total migration
to C99. "For LLP64 platform except of Win64, C99 compiler is
needed" would be enough, if Pierre's guessing is correct.

The usage of FT_UINT_TO_POINTER() macro is only used to store
the 32-bit integer (GID) into the storage of FT_List object
directly. I feel it's overkill to close C89 support just to
keep this method in LLP64 on the platforms which we have not
known their names yet.

Regards,
mpsuzuki

P.S.
If we have a time machine, we should suggest to have an union
instead of void pointer in FT_ListRec X-(