Re: [ft-devel] Head table upem value from FT_Face for (color) bitmap fon

From: Behdad Esfahbod
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Head table upem value from FT_Face for (color) bitmap fonts?
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2018 10:13:53 -0800

Exposing it sounds right to me, for the same reasons you identify.

On Fri, Feb 16, 2018 at 5:23 AM, Dominik Röttsches <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi,

When instantiating FT_Face's from sbix or cbdt/cblc color fonts, the units_per_EM value on FT_Face is 0, which currently seems to be intentional behaviour.

What would be the recommended way using FreeType of still getting the units per em value from the OpenType head table of such fonts? While working on Chrome/Blink's low level vertical text metrics handling, I need that value – even for color bitmap fonts  to convert values from the hmtx table to scaled values.

Can we potentially change the behaviour so that FreeType still exposes this value for bitmap fonts, even though it's not useful in all cases? Or is this a non use-case for FreeType and clients should parse the head table on their own for such a situation?

Thanks,

Dominik