Re: [ft-devel] How to determine if horizontal hinting is happening?

From: Alexei Podtelezhnikov
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] How to determine if horizontal hinting is happening?
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2018 12:01:02 -0500

> I'm not an expert on how the code works, but my understanding is that
> subpixel positioning is the norm.

I highly doubt that Chromium implements subpixel positioning. This
isn't the norm.

- LCD (subpixel) rendering is about utilizing color channels
separately to improve glyph appearance.
- Subpixel position is freedom of placement of outlines relative to
pixel grid *before* rendering, so it is different.
- Kerning is about spacing of letter pairs like "AV". Again I am not
sure your bug is about that.
- Hinting is about improving contrast, relevant mostly to non-LCD rendering

You mention all of these in the bug report... This is intractable and
confusing. Can you identify specific problem and file bug report with
FreeType if you think it is our problem?