Re: [ft-devel] How to determine if horizontal hinting is happening?

From: Alexei Podtelezhnikov
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] How to determine if horizontal hinting is happening?
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2018 13:35:59 -0500

Adam, Behdad, thank you...

> Chromium, on many configurations, does do subpixel positioning.

Indeed I now see beautiful variations in LCD glyph images in the bug
report. You would not want to ruin that with hinting. Is this the
"bug"? Do not do hinting unless tricky.

> I think Skia does, by default, a 4x1 subpixel grid.

... which is almost the same as 3x1, which you would get for free from
LCD rendering with 3 channels shifted by 1/3.. 4x1 is such a minor
gain for a huge cache waste. Just a suggestion.