Re: [ft-devel] How to determine if horizontal hinting is happening?

From: Adam Goode
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] How to determine if horizontal hinting is happening?
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2018 15:28:22 -0500

On Tue, Feb 20, 2018 at 5:10 PM, Behdad Esfahbod <address@hidden> wrote:

>> > May I ruin your suggestion by suggesting that LCD images are stored four
>> > bytes a pixel? ;)
>>
>> Do you then average the middle bytes for the middle channel, or
>> interpolate?
>> That is weird, but alright.
>

> I have no idea what you're talking about.
>
> Ignore my 4x1 thing. I said I think that's what Skia does. And I had that in
> mind with grayscale, not with subpixel rendering.
>
> --
> behdad
> http://behdad.org/

To try to answer my question from before (please correct my errors!):

Any of these conditions result in no horizontal hinting:

- FT_LOAD_NO_HINTING is set.

- FT_LOAD_TARGET_LIGHT is set.

- FT_LOAD_TARGET_NORMAL is set, the autohinter is not used, and
interpreter-version == TT_INTERPRETER_VERSION_40, and hinting_engine =
FT_HINTING_ADOBE.

Otherwise, horizontal hinting may occur.

Specifically:

- FT_LOAD_TARGET_MONO will hint horizontally.

- FT_LOAD_TARGET_LCD will hint horizontally (?)

- FT_LOAD_TARGET_V will hint horizontally (?)

Does this seem right?

Thanks,

Adam