Re: [ft-devel] How to determine if horizontal hinting is happening?

From: Alexei Podtelezhnikov
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] How to determine if horizontal hinting is happening?
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2018 19:59:50 -0500

> To try to answer my question from before (please correct my errors!):

You are confused because FT_LOAD_XXX combines bit flags with enum
portion of FT_LOAD_TARGET_XXX
https://www.freetype.org/freetype2/docs/reference/ft2-base_interface.html#FT_LOAD_XXX

LIGHT, NORMAL (assuming native v40), and LCD would not hint
horizontally. Native hinter overrides autohinter unless the later is
forced. I am not sure if v40 returns fractional advance though, which
you would need for subpixel positioning.