Re: [ft-devel] Query regarding substitute for Pandoc

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Query regarding substitute for Pandoc
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2018 00:42:46 +0100 (CET)

> I was looking for the use of Pandoc.And I came to note following
> point (please correct me if I am wrong):
>
> Advantages:
> 1. It provides a variety of option for converting document from one
>    format to another.
> 2. Easy to use for creation of HTML from markdown.

Yes.

> Disadvantages:
> 1.Create a plane and simple HTML corresponding to the markdown.

What exactly do you mean?  You can use template files to get more
structure, for example.

> 2. Don't add basic functionality to the created HTML like side bar
>    and navigation bar (unless added to each markdown).
> 3.Search bar will be difficult to implement.

This is probably true, since this is not what pandoc aims to provide.

> Suggestions/Requests:

> 1. Using Pandoc for conversion for formats other than HTML (which is
>    important because going to be displayed on FreeType website
>    directly).

Indeed, this is what I have (naïvely) suggested on the GSoC page.
It's not really a recommendation, since I don't know enough details.
It's rather part of the GSoC project to evaluate this – and reject my
suggestion if there are better solutions.

> Alternate:

> 1.Using Jekyll [...]
>
> 3.MkDocs: [...]

Thanks for investigating this.  I'm open to any suggestions, as long
as you think it will do the job :-) BTW, it wouldn't be a big problem
if you find out during actual GSoC work that a certain route doesn't
work.  You should have plenty of time to find an alternative in case
it is really necessary.