Re: [ft-devel] Contribution to freetype

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: [ft-devel] Contribution to freetype
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2018 10:05:57 +0100 (CET)

> Higher level would make use of ranges/language mapping for fallback.
> DirectWrite fallback is modeled very close if not identical to how
> this data is defined in .compositefont xml format.  When using
> DirectWrite layout API, application can rely on implicit fonts being
> selected for different script ranges, and you can set specific
> language per range to get more accurate results.  Newer versions
> allow user-defined fallback data, and API-wise it's very close to
> what those files provide.

If I understand you correctly, an application that uses DirectWrite
doesn't need `.compositeFont' files at all, right?  What happens with
applications that don't use DirectWrite?  AFAIK, Windows offers
composite fonts in its font selection menu like normal fonts...

> You can certainly parse and discard information irrelevant to
> freetype, but that will create ambiguity because same script ranges
> could be mapped to different fonts, and only differ in language.

We are miscommunicating, I think.  I talk about taking a
`.compositeFont' file and use it as a font.  You are talking about
configurability of `.compositeFont' files, effectively overriding its
contents.